Wednesday, April 7, 2010

'Tis The Rainy Season

Spring really is on its way and, as many of you know, this is my favourite season - so I couldn't be happier!

There is one thing about the season that I have found perplexing: how to cope with the unpredictable rain in a fashionable, sophisticated way. The onslaught of patterned plastic boots over the past couple of years has had me up in arms. They have been for the most part, to me, the rain proof equivalent of uggs: an efficient way to ruin an otherwise well thought-out outfit!

The reality is that we do need something to protect us from the wet beyond a classic or funky turn on the trench. My wishes have been received by a number of designers who've upped the ante and created practical, age-appropriate rain accessories to go with your ubiquitous tan or black topper.

Here three of my top picks for my Ladies:

The Burberry: I like this heart pattern better on the umbrella than I do on the rain boot. The embossed logo boot is just "so!" Don't you think?

For those with attitude, I love this combination of the Jimmy Choo for Hunter (yes, that's right) Crock print boot and a monogrammed umbrella. Of course, there are more reasonably priced rainboots with a similar look, but....these are fun too! You could also sub in a rubberized motorcycle boot for more downtown appeal.

And I'm sure you didn't think I would leave you hanging without an animal print rendition...did you? A sophisticated but fun version from Stuart Weitzman and a simple umbrella to match. I love the surrounding effect of the Fulton Birdcage Umbrella, but it does come in a regular umbrella shape as well. And, if it's good enough for the Queen, it's good enough for me!