Accepting Compliments Gracefully:
1. Recognize when you are being paid a compliment! Compliments can come in many forms, some of which might look like:
"You're always so....(put together/polite/dressed up!/kind/thoughtful/etc)"
"WHERE did you get that (fill in appropriate item)?"
"When I think of (positive quality), I always think of you"
"Great job on (blank)!"
2. Say "Thank you!"/"Thank you very much!" Ps & Qs are timeless classics and they always work, even when you're caught off guard.
3. Smile! It's ok to enjoy a compliment. In fact, the sole purpose of paying a compliment is to validate the recipient and make her feel good! So, be gracious and allow the Complimenter the pleasure of knowing you appreciate that they noticed you.
4. Return the favour. Provide a genuine compliment right back! Saying something like "Thank you! That means a lot coming from you!" is a nice way to recognize that the Complimenter's opinion counts to you.
5. Pay it forward. If it was a group effort, for example in a work setting, give the compliment to the group and let the contributors to your success know that you couldn't have done it without them.
There are some things you should avoid while accepting a compliment....
1. Arguing the compliment. There's no need to protest or object!
2. Filling in empty air by adding in extra words. Try to keep your response brief and genuine.
3. Fishing for more compliments...
4. Being negative, braggartly or regretful
So go out there and enjoy your limelight!